The Chair of the Government Board leads and directs the activities of the Board. Responsibilities of the Chair will usually include:
- setting the Board agenda
- facilitating the flow of information and discussion
- conducting Board meetings and other business
- ensuring the Board operates effectively
- liaising with and reporting to the Minister
- reviewing Board and organisational performance
- inducting and supporting Board members.
The Chair must be fully conversant with the business of the Government Board and ensure compliance with all legal and statutory obligations. The Chair may be invited to have input to the nomination/selection/recruitment process for new Board members. However, responsibility for selection ultimately rests with the Minister and/or Cabinet, so it would not normally be appropriate to tender suggestions or advice unless invited to do so.